How to make use of scripture in your family devotions
Or if you are using a “podcatcher” here is the feed address: https://christianhomeandfamily.com/feed/podcast/
USING SCRIPTURE IN FAMILY DEVOTIONS
HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY DO A FAMILY DEVOTIONAL TIME?
- For my family it consists of three parts: Song, Scripture, Prayer
- We covered the song part last week – www.ChristianHomeandFamily.com/82
- This week we’ll talk about how to include scripture in your family devotional time.
Here’s an example of how I’d go about it… let’s use this passage…
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. – Psalm 103:1-5
TAKE IT SLOW
- Make sure words like “bless”, “soul”, “benefits”, and “iniquity” are understood… remember podcast 81?
- Explore the meanings through discussion (you don’t have to give all the answers).
- There’s going to be no meaning and no impact if the passage is not understood.
- Depending on the age / spiritual maturity you may only take 1 verse at a time – that’s OK.
ASK QUESTIONS (that require more than “yes / no” answers) – here are some examples:
- What are some reasons the LORD wants us to bless Him?
- What do you think it means that God’s name is “holy?”
- What is forgiveness? How has God forgiven you?
- What impression does this passage give you of God?
TELL STORIES FROM YOUR OWN LIFE THAT ARE APPLICABLE
- Your kids need to hear about God’s work in your life.
- It gives them real-life examples.
- It demonstrates a pattern of how God deals with people.
- It shows them how sinful people can relate to God.
END WITH PERSONAL APPLICATION – here’s some examples I might ask based on this passage…
- Let’s list all the benefits the LORD has given to our family, or to us as individuals.
- What ideas do you have of how WE can bless the LORD for all He’s done?
Carey does speaking on this and other topics. You can find out more here.
Music used by permission of Adam Rey at www.HeyReyGuitar.comby