The power of words…
When I was a kid we used to say…
And it was a lie. Even then I knew it.
The mean things said on the playground hurt. And if they were said often enough, they cut deeply and took a long time to heal.
Words can destroy a person.
Your spouse, and your children believe what you say…
What you and I say to those we love really matters. We can do them great good with our words – but also great harm.
- If we criticize and critique every idea they have… they will believe they are stupid.
- If we belittle the way they think or feel… they will believe there is something wrong with them.
- If we compare them to their siblings over and over… they will believe they are not good enough.
- If we only talk about their shortcomings… they will believe you regret marrying them.
But on the other hand…
- If we listen to them and affirm their good ideas… they will dare to have greater ones.
- If we seek to understand what’s going on inside them… they will believe that they are loved.
- If we delight in them for who they are… they will believe that God made them for a specific purpose.
- If we talk of the unique gifts the LORD has given them… they will believe that they are an important part of His plans.
Do you see the contrast?
YOUR words are powerful in the lives of those you love
If you don’t think so… It’s possible that someone’s negative words are echoing in your soul.
Haunting you. Beating you down.
They told you that you weren’t important… that you’d never amount to anything… that you were a failure… that they wished you’d never been born.
The power of their words is still reigning over you today.
Break the chains of condemning words
Ask the LORD to break the chains of lies and dysfunction – to overcome the powerful words of condemnation that have been spoken over your life.
Begin to fill yourself with His words, His opinion of who you are through Jesus Christ.
Because of Jesus you are…
- You are God's child - John 1:12
- You are a friend of Jesus - John 15:15
- You are justified - Romans 5:1
- You are one with the LORD in spirit - 1 Corinthians 6:17
- You belong to God - 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- You are free from condemnation - Romans 8:1-2
- You can never be separated from God's love - Romans 8:31-39
- You are sealed forever by God - 2 Corinthians 1:21-22
- You are hidden with Christ, in God - Colossians 3:1-4
- You are forever a citizen of heaven - Philippians 3:20
- You are chosen by God and appointed to bear fruit - John 15:16
- You are God's temple - 1 Corinthians 3:16
- You are a minister of God's reconciliation - 2 Corinthians 5:17-21
- You are God's workmanship - Ephesians 2:10
- You can do all things through Christ - Philippians 4:13
Marinate your soul in the truth of what Christ has done for you... and begin passing it on to your spouse and your children.
The power of words can be used to their good... if you will take the bold stand, by faith, to believe what God has said about you...
And pass it on!
What chains do you need to break? Share your thoughts below...