Let me begin by saying what I’m NOT saying. I’m not saying…
- That your wife’s desires should dictate every aspect of your life together…
- That her feelings about things always trump yours…
- That you have to give in to every thing she says, just because she says it.
When I say, “If your wife doesn’t like it, don’t do it, ” I am saying is this…
Don’t purposefully do things that you KNOW your wife doesn’t like.
Can I give you some examples?
- You know your wife doesn’t like your socks left in the floor.
- You know that she hates it when you leave your whiskers in the sink.
- You know she appreciates the kitchen to be kept “just so.”
- You know her preference for the default position of the toilet seat.
- SO DON’T DO THINGS YOU KNOW SHE DOESN’T LIKE.
If your wife doesn’t like it… and you keep on doing it, then you are being unloving to your wife.
Think that through for a moment…
If you were at work, or church and someone purposefully did something they knew you didn’t like, what would you think?
- That person doesn’t like me…
- They are intentionally trying to hurt me.
- They are being rude, or inconsiderate.
- They are disregarding me altogether.
Don’t you think your wife could feel the same way when you continue to do things that you KNOW she doesn’t like?
The Bible instructs husbands to love their wives in such a way that their wives see the love of Christ.
Christian husband, you are to give YOURSELF up for your wife.
But when you make your wife put up with your inconsiderate habits, you’re making HER give up HERSELF for you.
Something is wrong with that picture.