Life changing. It’s an over-used word in our day and age.
Everyone from business gurus to doctors are touting the “life changing” effects of their system, program, or method.
It’s enough to make you a skeptic for life.
But don’t go there just yet. There truly are some life changing things in the world, and scripture is one of them.
I want to quickly outline 3 things that come from a right knowledge of the scriptures that are truly life changing.1 Clarity
Yes, there are parts of the Bible that are less than clear. I know that. I get that.
But overall, the Bible is God’s revelation to us about things we wouldn’t know otherwise.
Think that one through for a minute: God who knows everything has “revealed” things to us through the scriptures. That’s an incredible gift.
Sure, it takes the hard work we call “study” to truly understand it sometimes, but what do you expect when God-sized truths need to be understood by human-sized minds?
The scriptures are intended to provide “clarity” to us about things that are beyond us. Things like…
- How to be made right with God.
- What God thinks about us.
- What God has done for us (way beyond our salvation).
- How we are to live in the world (both in terms of proper behavior and in terms of what resources to use to do it).
I want clarity on those things. Do you?
If so, scripture is the only place you’ll find it.2 Certainty
How many things in life are you truly certain of?
- That your children will not rebel and go off the deep end?
- That your spouse will remain faithful?
- That your income is secure?
- That your health is guaranteed?
There’s a progression happening here that you may not have noticed.
Clarity or understanding brings certainty. Certainty brings confidence.
When we are able to understand, know, and rely on what God has said to us, we can live in a way that baffles the world and brings great stability to us, no matter what challenges or obstacles may come our way.
That’s because we’re able to move out, proactively, into the storms and trials of life with an underlying peace that supports us through everything.
We don’t have to be timid.
We don’t have to be afraid.
We don’t have to wish upon a star, or rub a rabbit’s foot, or say any kind of mantra or magic spell.
We have confidence based on what the God of all the universe has said.
Let me say it another way…
Understanding + Trust = Active faith.
And it comes through time spent reading, studying, and internalizing God’s word.
My encouragement to you… no, my challenge to you is to become more intentional, more aggressive about getting God’s revealed truth into your mind and heart, and to take your family with you.
There are many ways you can go about it, but here are a couple that I’ve found helpful.
- Find scripture put to music – it’s a powerful way to use the catchy nature of music to embed scripture in your soul.
- Use scripture flash cards to learn Bible verses together at dinner time or breakfast.
- Include scripture in your family devotional times.
Finally, here’s a motivational video from John Piper. In 8 simple statements he outlines the benefits of memorizing scripture.
Don’t skip the video. Take the time to watch it.