Mindset is huge. For you and for your children.
If you think wrongly, you will live wrongly.
That is why it is so important for you and your children to learn the truth of God and learn to act on it.
In the Bible we find…
- The truth about God.
- The truth about the world.
- The truth about ourselves.
- The truth about our place and purpose in the world.
Mindset comes from having a firm, clear conviction about who you are and why you are on the planet.
So why ARE you on the planet?
If God’s sole purpose for you was that you would one day receive and experience His grace through Christ, then why didn’t He take your life the second you became a believer?
The inference (and truth we find in scripture) is that He’s got purpose for you beyond simply becoming a Christian.
Your purpose is to do good works that HE has ordained for you to do.
Isn’t that an encouraging thought?
- Almighty God has purpose for your life.
- He created you specifically for that purpose (you are HIS workmanship).
- That means you are designed, equipped, and crafted to accomplish that purpose.
- He’s given you all you need “in Christ” to do those good works.
- God has it all planned out, ahead of time.
Your life matters. God Himself says so.
No matter what background you come from, how poor you may be, how difficult your life has been, what handicaps you struggle with, what tragedies have befallen you, or how much or little confidence you feel, God has ordained before any of that happened that you are to accomplish particular good works.
That is truth.
It is one of the most powerful mindset-shaping truths the scriptures contain. God has revealed it to you because He wants you to hear it, to understand it, and to believe it!
When you choose to believe that God has a very particular purpose for your life, you are choosing to live in God’s reality. And that is the most powerful mindset you can have!
The practical power of a Good Works mindset
What practical difference does it make to you and your family if you adopt this “good works” mindset?
Here’s how it helps me:
- I have the opportunity to see every day as a discovery of God’s plan for me… “What good works does He have for me to do today?” It’s an exciting way to live!
- I can live with my eyes open, watching for His divine appointments and good works – and fully engage myself in them as they arise. That’s living with purpose!
- I can know that GOD is going to use me to accomplish good works in the world and in the lives of others. That’s a life lived in confidence!
- I have the opportunity to thank Him at the end of the day for using me. That’s a life lived with joyful gratitude!
AND I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO TEACH MY CHILDREN TO HAVE THE SAME “GOOD WORKS” MINDSET!
Imagine what your childhood would have been like if you’d known that God created you to use you for significant good works that HE desires to accomplish!
You would be a different person today. Your faith would be much stronger than it is. Your relationship with Him would be much stronger because you would have had a lifetime of seeing Him work in you and through you!
You can provide that for your children by teaching them God’s truth about who they are and why they are on the planet!
Your children need to learn a “good works” mindset.
- Read Ephesians 2:10 (and it’s surrounding context).
- Ask the LORD to embed its truth deeply in your heart and mind.
- Ask Him to lead you in His good work, day after day.
- Sit down with your children and explain the verse to them. Help them see God’s grand purpose for their lives.
- Get in a habit of reminding them as they head out the door to play or go to school, “Watch for the good works God has for you to do!”